7 of the Best Things to Say to Someone in Grief
Therefore encourage one another and build each other up, just as in fact you are doing.- 1 Thessalonians 5:11
Though grievers may not be conversational and at times try to isolate, you being present and giving words of encouragement help with the healing process. Two things I have heard from grievers as it pertains to receiving comforting words; you as the person speaking those words need to be comfortable with our tears (the sincerity and the thoughts of our loved ones can bring them), and please hang around a bit and listen (if we care to talk beyond ‘thank you’).
Here are 7 things to say to someone grieving that can bring comfort:
- I am so sorry for your loss.
- I wish I had the right words, just know I care.
- I don’t know how you feel, but I am here to help in anyway I can.
- You and your loved one will be in my thoughts and prayers.
- My favorite memory of your loved one is…
- *Give a hug instead of saying something.
- *Saying nothing, just be with the person.
Besides the ones above, I’m sure you have had some comforting things said to you. Please share them here to help others learn. #BeBlessedBeFree